Favorite


                                                    W, December/January, The Art Issue
"For W’s December/January Art Issue, the magazine collaborated with artist Yayoi Kusama to create this iconic cover image depicting George Clooney. The visually arresting image is the highlight of the cover story, for which five leading female artists were invited to create interpretive portraits of the actor. Clooney wears a suit painted by Kusama with her signature polka dots and stands against a polka-dotted backdrop. Planned to coincide with the opening of an exhibition of new work by Kusama at David Zwirner Gallery, the cover makes a powerful reference to the artist’s iconic self-portraits."
 My favorite:
I chose this photo as my favorite magazine cover for many reasons. However, despite the advantages, there are a few disadvantages. One think I really like about this cover is the use of black, white, pink, and orange. The colors are evenly incorporated throughout the image, which makes it a lot less confusing than you think it would be. Also, I love how the polka dots keep a constant appearance throughout the whole image. The dots are even shown in the neck tie, which is a very small detail. If I saw this magazine cover, I would feel almost compelled to read it because it is very attractive. The polka dots tend to be very busy, and can confuse the eye a bit. If I were the designer, I would make either the mans suit a solid color, or the background a solid color, so the subject of the portrait is more visible and not hidden by this crazy pattern. Also, I would try to eliminate the shadow on his face because it could be a bit too many different tones and patterns on the cover. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sports Portfolio Notes

HDR Preview

Landscape Photography